Wednesday, March 10, 2010


For the time being I am not going to get the vaccine...too many people in the medical profession have told me that they would not get it if they were me, so for now I am not going to get it. That doesn't mean I won't change my mind.

I have an important decision to make. My doctor has advised me to get the H1N1 vaccine. She has pretty much left it up to me to make the decision, and I am going back and forth on what to do???? They tell every patient that gets pregnant to get it, but it is really up to me weather I get it or not. I am leaning more towards not getting it, but then I go the other way. Has anyone gotten it while pregnant or had to make this decision? What did you base your decision on? I know I should listen to my doctor and trust her but I also want to make sure I make the best decision for me!!!


Hollie said...

You definitely should discuss with your husband and do what feels right to you. Maybe go on some pregnancy message boards to see what other ladies do?

I don't want to be the one to tell you what to do and then something bad happens. But I did get the seasonal flu shot at the advice of my dr. And I didn't get the flu. And I didn't have any side effects. I would say to get the shot if you dr recommends it. There were some pregnant women who had H1N1 and were very sick.

Good luck with your decision. And there will be lots more decisions coming your way!! It never ends!

Jennifer said...

I was advised to get the H1N1 vaccine too. My OB told me to get both the regular flu vaccine and H1N1. I tossed it back and forth in my mind and decided to just get the regular one. I didn't want to take the chance of any risks to Ayden while he was unborn with H1N1. I got it around 5 or 6 months I guess...I can't remember...anyway, I researched it online through the food and drug administration and made my decision based on the research findings I learned.

I can't make the decision for you, but I would say from my experience that if you are careful to wash your hands a lot and often and use germ x regularly after going to the store you should be fine...but, the decision is up to you. I agree with Hollie. Research and discuss with Marcus and maybe you guys can come up with a decision together to protect you and the baby.

雅芝 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Theresa Walker said...

I definitely went back and forth too, and had decided not to get either flu vaccine, simply because I stay home with Gabrielle, and felt like I would have less of a chance to get sick.

Then I changed my mind and got the seasonal flu vaccine...partially because I had gotten it before and never had a problem. Then a few weeks later I decided to go ahead and get the H1N1 shot...this being after several of Gabrielle's little friends had been sick with different things, I heard of someone dying from H1N1, and my OB told me that the symptoms would definitely be much worse on myself and the baby if I did get sick.

In the end, I figured it was better to be safe than sorry with the vaccines, even though I was quite nervous about getting them. I know that I'm around all kinds of germs every day...even if it's just going to the grocery store, out to eat, or even to church. I've definitely felt better about "germs" after getting the vaccine (but then again, I was worried about it a lot before we traveled for Christmas, so that was part of my stress).

Anyway...hope you and Marcus make the best decision for you, no matter what other people say (or what you can read in magazines or online). I'll pray that God gives you the wisdom to know what's right for you!

Anonymous said...

I don't have a "google" id so that is why this is anonymous. DO NOT GET THE VACCINE. Please do some research asap. There have been studies done that show astronomical rates of miscarriages in women right after they receive the vaccine. There is no H1N1 threat, we are passed the flu season. This info comes from my father a Physician for 30 years. You can also google H1N1 and miscarriage. The one thing that a lot of people don't know is that many doctors get "kick backs" from pharmaceutical companies for "promoting" a vaccine. I never comment on these blogs, but considering your struggle I had to pass this info along. Please do the research, don't just listen to the Doc.

sls said...

You don't know me, I came across your blog by clicking next, but the vaccine decision was a huge thing for me this cold/flu season, too. I'm not expecting, our family is complete, but my son has has asthma since her was 15m old (we almost lost him to influenza/pneumonia at that age, & his lungs have never been the same since). His dr wanted him to get the vaccine, but bc of the fact that is was so rushed, pretty much untested, & had questionable ingredients, I was very leary. After praying hard, I kept having the thought 'what do I trust to protect my son? A man-made vaccine, or God?' I'm not against vaccines overall, my kids are all up to date, but for some reason, I just had a check about that one. At least for this year. We opted NOT to get any vaccines this winter, and we have all been so very healthy - and that's with 4 kids in school!
On the other hand, I know a few pregnant women who have gotten the vaccine & are doing just fine.

God bless & may He give you wisdom in your decision :)

Lucimarie said...

I work with mentally ill patients, they are high risk with everything because of the lack of good hygiene that seems to follow them. My work offered both seasonal and H1N1, that being said I am not pregnant nor thinking of it. But...I had a reaction to the seasonal shot, and absolutely nothing happened with the H1N1. Keep in mind everyone is different.