Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Pale is the new Tan

I vent about this all the time to my family, but I figured I would vent on my blog about it. Don't go to the tanning bed!!! In high school I started going tanning for special occasions and then I started going more often because I liked being tan. I kept tanning until I noticed quite a few freckles...moles that really looked weird, so I went to the dermatologist to have them look at. At that appointment I had 6 spots removed and almost all of them had precancerous cells in them. Since then I have had many more removed and many scars to show for it. I was told that going to the tanning bed is what has caused all these spots on my skin. (I had a long lecture from the dermatologist) I do have a family history of melanoma, but my lifestyle of going to the tanning bed has brought out those cells in my body even worse. The UV light in the tanning bed was much more intense than if I would have just laid outside with sunscreen on. I am writing about this because I had to go to the dermatologist yesterday for my 3 month check-up and she removed yet another spot on my back (hopefully everything comes back clear!!!) I don't want anyone to have to go through all this if it is something that can be stopped by simply just staying away from tanning beds. I did get some good news though at my doctors appointment, I now only have to go every 6 months instead of every 3 months, Yea!!!!

1 comment:

Jenn said...

I agree with you. The tanning beds really ruin your skin. I am tanning outside or getting the spray tans..lol...they are more expensive but look really good. Good to hear from you on your blog!!...later