Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Anything but Commonplace

You there with the rounded belly;
Talking on your cell phone and dragging your toddler along behind you, his arm twisting, losing his step trying to keep up with you, while your attention is focused on your conversation, your plans, your business, your new pair of shoes.
Please be mindful of the miracle.

You there in the grocery store line;
Digging in your purse and writing your check while you scream at your child that you wish she were never born, slapping her haphazardly on her arm, her leg, her bottom while she reaches for packets of candy bars and mint flavored gum.
Please be mindful of the miracle.

For 80-something percent of the population, getting pregnant is a mindless act that happens on accident, on purpose, and accidentally on purpose. There is not always thought, or consideration beforehand. Pregnancy may be a surprise, a shock, a regret. It may be a blessing, a plan, or a mistake. It is merely a state of being that a large number of women are in every minute of every day. It is. It simply is.

Maybe it was a one-night stand, a fling, a short-term relationship. Maybe it was an accident, a broken condom, or a forgotten pill. Maybe you didn’t want this, or maybe you made it happen. Many women spend a large portion of their lives trying to prevent pregnancy from occurring. It becomes a condition to be avoided, yet sometimes the plans are thwarted. It happens anyway.

Maybe you planned it this way. You met. You fell in love. You married. You bought a house with four bedrooms. You filled them quickly. There was no effort, no calculating, no saving. You feel blessed. You feel grateful. You have the family you always wanted. It happened. It happens to everyone. It’s easy. There is no fuss. These are dreams that come true. They do.

For 80-something percent of the population, getting pregnant is a mindless act. Whether it was planned or on accident, it simply is. It is a state of being. It is commonplace. It is normal. Egg and sperm find each other without needles and labs and pills and assistance. Ovulation is not inducted or detected. Intercourse is not timed or planned. Pregnancy without surgery—it happens.

And while I don’t expect every pregnant woman in the universe to twirl around in a circle of happiness and gratitude, spreading fertile joy to the world—I am mindful of the miracle. While pregnancy may be an ordinary, humdrum, everyday condition to some, it is not to me. My perspective is forever changed.

For a percentage of the population, pregnancy will never be commonplace. It will never be unplanned. It will never be no fuss, no muss. If it ever happens, it will be a carefully executed symphony of intention; a purposeful pre-arranged plot carried out over endless weeks. The mind shift this process creates will perpetually alter your point of view.

Please be mindful of your miracle. Miracles don’t happen every day; and they are anything but commonplace.

*Taken from Fertility Authority


7 comments:

Hollie said...

Thanks for sharing this article.

While my child was born thanks to IVF, I am still mindful that it is a miracle of God and modern science.

The Gary's said...

Lindsey, your post is great. I just wanted to tell you to never give up, God has a plan for you. If it wasnt for IVF I wouldnt have my little miracle Lane. It will happen for you guys. After reading all your post I know exactly what you are going through. Stay strong.
Love
The Garys

Michael Paine said...

Thanks Lindsey for reminding me and putting me in my place.

Mom2Mcube said...

Thanks Lindsey! I call mine my "Angels on Loan from God." Mine for a time... His for eternity... We can all use the reminder.

Theresa Walker said...

This post really touched my heart. Thanks for having the courage to write these things for us to read. It was great to meet you at church this morning too!

full of faith said...

this post really said what i feel, and what all of us going through IF feel...i too am praying for my little miracle, and my sister in law is also going thru IF...it's a painful journey that i pray for all of us will result in bliss. prayers and blessings your way.

aymom said...

Lindsey, I just found your blog, and I'm so glad you are writing about this. I, too, needed the reminder, even though I try to remind myself daily. Thank you for that.
Chrystal (Hebert) Lundy